Friday 18 January 2013

PURELY COLLAGE POSTCARDS

Good afternoon (evening or morning depending on when you read this).

This challenge definitely worked outside my normal comfort zone, I mean cutting up magazines is a norm, but no paint!!!! I mean NO PAINT!!!! After I'd got over that factor I battled with the bases and sent those onto Jean (which I haven't blogged as I'm assuming she will in due course) not quite sure I had done what I was supposed to but they were sent.  However, I wasn't the only one feeling a little out of their comfort zone as the post-it note from Sam who sent the bases to me proved!  However, she really shouldn't have worried - fabulous bases to work with!

These are the two as received from Sam, lovely and bright with fabulous perspective on this one!


And loving the sparkly sky on this one!


And here are they are finished (after fighting with them) this is the one sent to Jean


And this one to Sarah, who indicated that she liked the discworld look of it, partly intentional when I cut out the turtle but struggled to find four mini elephants for its back, so decided on fish in the sky instead!


I liked the leaf on this one, I found it already with the London skyline cut out of it.  I almost added a car, but it seemed a step too far - so left it as is and Sarah said she liked it which made me very happy because like I said I struggled with this challenge!

13 comments:

  1. Loving both of these Virginia, that turtle one in particular though is fantastic. Great bases to play with and I love what you did with them. Yep, another here welllllll out of my city fort zone... But fun.

    ReplyDelete
  2. City fort = comfort zone. Spell thingy on my tablet thinks it knows what I want to say when clearly it doesn't!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh we might have to adopt that instead of comfort zone a city fort zone - sounds so much more arty!

      Delete
  3. Lovin' these but where is the Steampunk?
    Hugs, Neet x (not back until Feb 8th - email me and then I'll get your addie)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm glad you are the first to post results from this project Virginia - as they may have driven you far outside your city fort zone ( :) ), but they are exactly the kind of thing I hoped to see .... clever backgrounds brought to life with wonderfully surreal focal images. Collage as a medium lends itself so perfectly to surrealism. And these really are great!

    And I also struggled without the ability to resort to paints and inks - even just a pen to add shadows, I always add shadows to collaged imagery usually, it felt wrong not to! But it's a good creative exercise to impose restrictions on ourselves from time to time, I reckon. You may or may not agree :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I agree completely Sarah which is why I both loathed and loved these project, it pushed me and as a result I adored the process and enjoyed the finished results! Still not convinced my bases were up to it though LOL!

      Delete
  5. These are both great, but I think the first one is my favourite. I'm glad I'm not the only one out of my city fort zone. It really was a challenge, and it drove me out of my usual surreal field ....... So now I feel sorry that I went for 'ordinary'. Never mind, I think this has been such a real challenge that I hope it will run again, or something similar. I'll post mine asap, hopefully they will have arrived.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree Jez I think it would be fabulous to run this one again - it was such fun even though we all found it a little on the traumatic side!

      Delete
  6. I'd love to do this again,really love a bit of citting and sticking(takes me back to my childhood)
    These are wonderful postcards,mmmm you clever lot,i'm nowhere near as "arty" as all you,love the bottom one with the Roseberry Topping National Trust sign......walked there!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You have done a great Job with these Virginia!They look amazing, i too love the flying turtle. I struggled so much with the backgrounds and thought the next stage would be easier, then Carmens arrived and i spent 7 hrs trying to put something together! Definately out of my City Fort!! (see it's catching on Carmen!)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Two wonderful projects, love to see the progress.
    Wish you a nice week my Dear,
    hugs Anja

    ReplyDelete
  9. These are great and you've used some brilliant images superbly. I need that rabbit girl pic! I agree this is out of my city fort zone (love that!) but that's why I like doing things like this, otherwise I would get bored doing the same old stuff all the time. I'd be up for another of these too.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great cards and I did think Discworld as well. I found it a challenge as well not to add anything inky or painty. It was a real challenge.

    ReplyDelete